Friday, August 7, 2009

Saying Goodbye...

We said goodbye last night.

Goodbye to my husband's dad and stepmom.

They are moving to Alaska.

It was heart wrenching driving out of their driveway for the last time. Listening to the sobs coming from my 8 year old little girl. She just kept saying, "but Alaska is soo far away". Yes, it is far away and it will be a long time til we can all fly up there. I'm already trying to figure out how long it will take to save up enough money.

Why do goodbye's hurt so much?

Why can't it just be see ya later?

Why does my stomach hurt and feel like I'm going to vomit when I think of how much my father-in-law means to my husband and that he had to goodbye. Driving away watching the tears stream down my husbands cheeks. Holding him when we got home, both of us crying. My heart is heavy.

I want to be excited for my in-laws. This is a dream come true for them. It's a great adventure! It's what they want.

But it hurts to say goodbye. Hurts to think of them watching their grandchildren grow up from far away. Hurts to know we can't just "stop by" anymore. It just hurts.

Goodbye's are just painful. And right now that's all I feel in my heart for my family is pain. I guess it's good to feel pain because that means we also love. Love hurts sometimes too.

It's because of love that we let them go.

Because of love that we cry tears.

Because of love that we say, "Have a great adventure in Alaska, Dad and Jeannette! We love you dearly and miss you already!!

2 comments:

  1. Ok...I am sitting here crying...gee...you really shouldn't write this stuff...I'm so sad for Michael now....change is hard, but good at the same time. Just think of all the wonderful adventures you will have going up there.And I'm sure Ryan would love to go on a "road" trip with you guys, and all of us drive up there....that would be entertaining! And you could "stop by"...just don't tell them you are coming, then..."stop by"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Josie. It was a hard goodbye, and I appreciate your vulnerability. I can't wait for them to set up a facebook account! Maybe we can convince the guys to join now :). In the mean time, we can dream together about a trip north . . . .

    ReplyDelete